Translate

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens


A Tale of Two Cities is a novel with great staying power. Aside from the hypnotic pulse of the narrative itself, we might be tempted to think of it as primarily a "plot-driven" novel, full of twists and turns, populated by a slew of memorable characters to be sure, individuals for the most part either broadly sketched or overshadowed by events. But among these personages,  the emotional centerpiece of the story remains the eminently plausible, tirelessly vindictive, relentless "settler of scores," the one and only: Madame Defarge.


1 comment:

MC Tracy said...

I recently started to re-read "Great Expectations," and I realized that I had forgotten how compelling (and funny) Dickens can be. I will have to read this one next. I have never read it, and I have always been interested in the story. I think that this is a hole in my life, as I am a big fan of revenge plots!